On Sept. 18, The Deer Park neighborhood is back with its version of PorchFest. The idea of PorchFest was originally from Ithaca, New York and was intended to bring communities closer by offering a cozy way to listen to music, in a very un-”Deliverance”-like way. I’m sure someone has played Dueling Banjos at one of these events and without the “hillbilly” stereotypes.
Some of the festivals have grown to include adjacent events like arts festivals.
Deer Park’s PorchFest is about the music. The festival will kick off at 2 p.m. and run until 6 p.m. The sites are listed on the website. Be respectful, though — even though it’s a concert, the yards and homes do belong to someone.
According to the website, The bands slated to appear so far are:
- Blind Feline, Voice Collective of Louisville
- David Serchuk, Paul McGee, Moonwatcher
- Joe Spencer, Frankie Leo, Dimestore Dandy, Chenille OKeel, Charlie Humble Band, Greg & Kristin, Bernadette & Friends
- Nathan Strange, Jenn & Brittany, Anne Saint X
- N Bayly Project, As You Are
- Ben Helm & The Gel Wells, Definitely Pinwheels, Louisville Gypsy Jazz, Parker & Jannell
- Dave Olshefski, Kentuckiana Suzuki
- Pat Younger & The Palo Verde
- Nise the Nymph, Marty Rosen, No Bottom Boys
- Dustin Edge, The Dalton P Experience
- 2 for the Road
- Kevin Niehoff
If you’re a musician or band interested in participating: https://www.deerparklouisville.com/events/porchfest/porchfest-porch-signup
Check out this video for last year’s festival:
Keep Louisville interesting and support LEO Weekly by subscribing to our newsletter here. In return, you’ll receive news with an edge and the latest on where to eat, drink and hang out in Derby City.