Most people can make a decent mint julep. The recipe is easy: crushed ice, bourbon, simple syrup and fresh mint. But who can put their best twist on the classic Derby cocktail? The answer will be revealed at the Rose Julep Cocktail Competition on Wednesday.
The public is invited to sample and judge the creations of eight regional mixologists — all returning winners. They’ll be using Four Roses Bourbons and a host of unique ingredients, including habanero bitters, lemongrass and pear syrup, Andes mints and orange blossom water.
The winners will receive cash prizes, Four Roses swag and they’ll get to serve their winning cocktail at their establishment.
Here are your competitors:
- Bill Whitlow, Rich’s Proper Food & Drink, Cincinnati
- Colleen McCarthy, Martini Italian Bistro, Louisville
- Giacomo Ciminello, Woodburn Brewing, Cincinnati
- Isaac Fox, La Chasse, Louisville
- Jason Stark, Martini Italian Bistro, Louisville
- Mark Corley, The Silver Dollar, Louisville
- Natalie White, Belle’s Cocktail House, Lexington
- Oliver Winn, Belle’s Cocktail House, Lexington
Tomorrow’s competition will be held at the Kentucky Derby Festival’s “Festival Unveiled” party. Tickets are $45, and can be purchased here. The event lasts from 5 to 7:30 p.m.
Keep Louisville interesting and support LEO Weekly by subscribing to our newsletter here. In return, you’ll receive news with an edge and the latest on where to eat, drink and hang out in Derby City.